As more and more students decide to take a gap year, there has been a growing need for scholarships to support them during their time away from school. Whether you’re taking a year off to travel, work, or pursue other interests, there are a variety of scholarships for students who took a year off.
In this article, we’ll provide an overview of some of the top scholarships available for students who have taken a year off from school, as well as tips on how to apply for and win these scholarships. So if you’re a student who has taken a gap year, keep reading to learn more! You can also check if taking a gap year affect scholarships if you need to.
The American Gap Association Gap Year Scholarship
The American Gap Association (AGA) is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting gap year experiences for students. One of the ways they do this is by offering a Gap Year Scholarship, which awards up to $2500 to students who are planning to take a gap year.
To be eligible for this scholarship, you must have been accepted to a gap year program that is recognized by the AGA.
You will also need to submit a personal essay and letters of recommendation from teachers, mentors, or other professionals who can speak to your character and potential.
The Tzell Travel Group Gap Year Scholarship
If you’re planning to use your gap year to travel, the Tzell Travel Group Gap Year Scholarship might be a great option for you. This scholarship awards up to $1000 to students who are planning to travel for at least six months during their gap year.
To apply, you will need to submit a personal essay describing your travel plans and how they will benefit you personally and academically.
You will also need to provide a budget for your trip and a letter of recommendation from a teacher, mentor, or other professional who can speak to your character and potential.
The James W. McLamore WHOPPER® Scholarship
The James W. McLamore WHOPPER® Scholarship is awarded annually to high school seniors and college students who have taken a year off from school to work, travel, or pursue other interests. The scholarship awards up to $50,000 per year for up to four years.
To be eligible, you must have a minimum GPA of 3.3, be enrolled in an accredited four-year college or university, and have taken a gap year for personal or academic reasons.
You will also need to submit a personal essay, letters of recommendation, and a copy of your high school or college transcript.
The National Outdoor Leadership School Gap Year Scholarship
The National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) is a non-profit organization that offers wilderness education programs for students. If you’re planning to use your gap year to participate in a NOLS program, you may be eligible for their Gap Year Scholarship.
This scholarship awards up to $5000 to students who have been accepted into a NOLS program and have demonstrated financial need. To apply, you will need to submit a personal essay, letters of recommendation, and financial information to demonstrate your need.
The Rustic Pathways Gap Year Scholarship
Rustic Pathways is a travel company that offers gap year programs for students. If you’re planning to participate in one of their programs, you may be eligible for their Gap Year Scholarship.
This scholarship awards up to $2500 to students who have been accepted into a Rustic Pathways gap year program and have demonstrated financial need. To apply, you will need to submit a personal essay, letters of recommendation, and financial information to demonstrate your need.
Tips for Winning a Gap Year Scholarship
Now that you know about some of the top gap year scholarships available, here are some tips on how to increase your chances of winning one:
- Don’t waste time: Many scholarships have early deadlines, so it’s important to research and apply for scholarships as soon as possible.
- Tailor your application: Make sure to read and understand the eligibility requirements and instructions for each scholarship you apply for. Tailor your application to fit the specific criteria and focus on highlighting your unique experiences and skills that align with the scholarship’s goals and values.
- Highlight your gap year plans: Clearly articulate your gap year plans in your application and explain how they align with your personal and academic goals. Show the scholarship committee that your gap year experience will contribute to your growth and development as a student and future professional.
- Show your passion: Emphasize your passion and enthusiasm for your gap year plans and how they align with your interests and aspirations. Demonstrate your commitment to making the most of your gap year experience and how you will use the scholarship funds to achieve your goals.
- Get strong letters of recommendation: Letters of recommendation are an important part of any scholarship application. Choose recommenders who can speak to your character, potential, and gap year plans. Provide your recommenders with specific information about the scholarship and why you think you’re a strong candidate for it.
Taking a gap year can be an incredible opportunity for personal and academic growth, but it can also come with financial challenges. Fortunately, there are many scholarships available to support students during their gap year experience.
By researching and applying for these scholarships, you can make the most of your gap year and set yourself up for success in the future. Remember to start early, tailor your application, highlight your gap year plans, show your passion, and get strong letters of recommendation. Good luck!
Originally posted 2023-04-28 15:15:16.