The Lagos State University (LASU) is a renowned institution of higher learning located in Ojo, Lagos State, Nigeria. Each year, LASU sets a cut off mark to determine the minimum score required for admission into various undergraduate courses offered by the university. The cut off mark serves as a benchmark for assessing the academic qualifications of prospective students and ensuring that only qualified candidates are admitted. In this article, we will explore the LASU cut off mark for all courses in the year 2023.
Understanding Cut Off Marks
Before delving into the specific cut off marks for LASU courses, it’s important to understand what a cut off mark is and how it is determined. A cut off mark is the minimum score or rank required for admission into a particular course or institution. It is usually set based on several factors, including the number of available slots, the level of competition, the quality of applicants, and the academic requirements of the course.
LASU Cut Off Mark for 2023
LASU has not yet officially released the cut off mark for the year 2023 as of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021. However, to provide you with a general idea, I will discuss the previous year’s cut off mark and some factors that may influence the cut off mark for 2023.
Previous Year’s Cut Off Mark
In the 2022/2023 academic session, LASU set its cut off mark at 190 for the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME). This means that candidates who scored 190 and above in their UTME were eligible to participate in the LASU Post-UTME screening exercise. It’s important to note that meeting the cut off mark does not guarantee automatic admission but rather qualifies candidates to participate in the further screening process.
Factors Influencing Cut Off Mark
Several factors can influence the cut off mark for LASU courses in 2023. These factors include:
- Number of Available Slots: The number of available slots for each course can significantly impact the cut off mark. If a course has limited spaces, the competition among applicants will be higher, leading to a higher cut off mark. On the other hand, if a course has more available slots, the cut off mark may be lower.
- Quality of Applicants: The academic performance of applicants can also influence the cut off mark. If there is a high number of well-performing candidates applying for a particular course, the cut off mark may be higher as the institution aims to admit the best candidates.
- Previous Year’s Performance: The previous year’s cut off mark and admission trends can also play a role in determining the cut off mark for the current year. If the institution admits candidates with higher scores in a particular course, it may set a higher cut off mark for subsequent years.
- National Policies and Guidelines: LASU’s cut off mark may also be influenced by national policies and guidelines set by regulatory bodies such as the National Universities Commission (NUC) and JAMB. These bodies may provide recommendations or directives that could affect the cut off mark for universities across the country.
Specific Cut Off Marks for LASU Courses
While the official cut off mark for LASU courses in 2023 is yet to be released, I can provide you with an overview of the previous year’s cut off marks for some popular courses. Please note that these are subject to change and are provided only as a reference:
- Medicine: The cut off mark for Medicine and Surgery (MBBS) at LASU in 2022 was 270 and above.
- Law: The cut off mark for Law in 2022 was 240 and above.
- Engineering: The cut off mark for various engineering courses such as Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Chemical Engineering in 2022 was 220 and above.
- Accounting: The cut off mark for Accounting in 2022 was 210 and above.
- Mass Communication: The cut off mark for Mass Communication in 2022 was 200 and above.
- Computer Science: The cut off mark for Computer Science in 2022 was 200 and above.
- Economics: The cut off mark for Economics in 2022 was 200 and above.
- Political Science: The cut off mark for Political Science in 2022 was 200 and above.
Please note that these cut off marks are provided as an example based on the previous year’s data and are subject to change. The actual cut off marks for the year 2023 will be officially announced by LASU and should be verified from the university’s website or official communication channels.
The LASU cut off mark for all courses in 2023 is yet to be released as of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021. However, it is expected that the minimum score required for admission into various courses will be similar to or slightly higher than the previous year’s cut off marks. It is important for prospective LASU applicants to stay updated with the official announcements from the university and the guidelines set by regulatory bodies like JAMB and NUC. Meeting the cut off mark is the first step towards securing admission, but candidates should also be prepared for the subsequent screening processes that evaluate their academic performance and suitability for the chosen course.
Originally posted 2023-06-06 05:35:19.